It is always exciting to meet someone famous and especially exciting when you get to interview them. We had the privilege of meeting a local artist, Michael Burrell, founder of Flying Armadillo Sign Company. He has done art work or billboards for major companies such as Nike, Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Miller Lite, Rainbow Bread, Hanna Barbara, Piedmont Airlines, Pepsi, Ale-8 Bottling Company, as well as many more. Here in Lexington, Kentucky Michael was asked by LexArts to create two unique artworks to transform blank walls into works of art for the benefit of the entire community.
The girls came up with eight questions to ask Michael, which he was more than happy to answer:
- How old were you when you knew you wanted to be an artist?
- Did you have a traditional education or was it always geared toward art?
- Does drawing and painting come naturally?
- Who was you inspiration?
- What is your favorite mural?
- What was your first mural?
- What advice do you have for children who want to become professional artists?
- Should artists go to college?
We learned about his childhood and who inspired him to become an artist. He told us stories about his younger years as an artist and how he meet his beautiful wife. We got advice on mentors and learned that if one is offering advice: take it and listen, which is especially hard for children. He was a joy to talk to and inspirational to both girls and especially Huggs who longs to be a professional artist.
We thank our favorite Aunt, Aunt Peggy, for setting up this interview and thank you Michael for taking the time to mentor two curious little girls.