Summer is about playing outside, going to the pool and planting flowers. So we created a fun project, Google Eyed Recycled Planters, that you can start anytime this summer. We recycled plastic containers to use as our pots, found rocks from the lake we were camping at and bought $0.99 seeds at the local Home Depot. So lets help our environment and recycle, reuse and repurpose old items for new ones.
Items you will need to get started Google Eyed Recycled Planters:
- plastic containers – milk, coffee, coffee creamer, coke bottles, water bottles
- Potting soil (8 qrts) – cactus, Palm and Citrus
- few kids (any age)
- small juice boxes – for watering can
- knife or drill to make holes
This is how we made our Google Eyed Recycled Planters
- Take your plastic containers and wash them out.
- Kids can cut the plastic containers down so they are about 6 inches tall.
- Get some rocks for the bottom to help with drainage – we got our rocks at the lake beside our campsite
- layer the container with rocks then fill the containers up with soil – almost to the top
- I just let the kids sprinkle the seeds in and honestly didn’t worry about what the package said – the point is just to get them to grow. I do not have a green thumb so we were very excited to see some leaves coming up
- Make the watering can next – by drinking at least two small juice bottle or water bottles
- punch holes in lid – and then you child can water the plants every morning – also great for hot days to spray each other
- Happy planting – send us pictures of your planters…